2023 Entry Level Referee
Thank you for your interest in becoming a referee with Georgetown Soccer Club! Refereeing is a rewarding way to get/stay involved in the game, have fun, and get paid while doing it. To become a referee, you must first register for a course with Ontario Soccer. This consists of several online modules, a practical in-person session, and a final LOTG test online.
Please see https://www.ontariosoccer.net/referee-clinics for details about the online component (opening in mid February).
There are two types of referee courses/certification levels:
Small Sided Referee (age 12+)
• Permitted to referee U8-U11 games (5v5 or 7v7)
• Annual registration cost: $45
• Certified and hosted by Ontario Soccer
• Based on the Ontario Soccer “Laws of the Small Sided Game – 7v7"
• No offsides or assistant referee instruction, disciplinary action (yellow or red cards) for team officials only
• Must be 12 years of age or older by March 31 to take the course
Entry Level Referee (age 14+)
• Permitted to referee U12 and up games (typically 9v9 or 11v11), or act as an assistant referee (AR)
• Annual registration costs: ages 14-17 is $45, ages 18 + is $110
• Certified by Canada Soccer
• Based on the International Football Association Board (IFAB) “Laws of the Game”
• Includes instruction on offside application, assistant referees, disciplinary action (yellow or red card) for
players and team officials
• Hosted by Ontario Soccer
• Must be 14 years of age or older by March 31 to take this course
If you are interested in learning more, please contact us at GSCRefs@gmail.com.